How to Make S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Goals
Specific | Measurable | Attainable | Relevant | Time Bound | Enjoyable | Rewarding
How to set SMARTER Goals
S – Specific
When setting goals, answer your five Whys. Get specific in your planning and execution.
• Who: Who is involved and who is affected
• What: What do I want to accomplish
• Where: Identify a location to work (i.e. networking events, office, gym, etc.)
• When: Start, and finish dates
• Why: Why is this important and how does this goal align with my other goals
M – Measurable
Use metrics to help map out your Goals. Deconstruct your long term Goal into short term achievable actions. Establish how many meetings, phone calls, networking events or other actions it may take to accomplish your goal. Then perform those actions on a daily or weekly basis.
• How many X do I need to do every week
• If I do X this many times it results in X
• Every time I do X, I am X% closer to my goal
A – Attainable & Achievable
Challenge yourself. Make goals that require work, discipline and shake up your comfort zone. Just make sure they are realistic and attainable.
• Goals backed by measurable metrics are often achievable.
• Deconstruct your goals into daily and weekly actions.
• Leverage your talents, and the talents of those around you
• Delegate and automate
R – Relevant
Relevant Goals align with each other and support each other. For example, living a healthier lifestyle leads to living longer. The healthy lifestyle goal is relevant to the goal of living longer.
• Does this goal align with other goals
• Is this the right time for this goal
• Accomplishing this goal will lead to X, Y and Z
T – Time Bound
Often the biggest pitfall of most goals, the timeline. SMARTER Goals are specific. They have a begin time, progress points and a completion date. SMARTER goals are attainable as well. Make sure that you set yourself up for success by creating realistic timelines to completion. Then hold yourself accountable.
• I will start my goal on X…
• Deconstructed your goal into daily or weekly activities
• Establish measurable progress points
• My goal will be accomplished on X…
E – Enjoyable
Goals that are enjoyable have a much higher success rate. Focus on your strongest talents, and try to delegate or automate parts that you do not enjoy.
• Set up daily or weekly victories, and progress points
• Is your goal aligned with your passion and talents
• Can you delegate or automate
R – Rewarding
When you set goals that are meaningful, accomplishing them is rewarding. But in this case, we are talking about a real reward for your accomplishments. It should be part of the planning phase, and you should keep your eye on the prize!
Need Help Setting Marketing Goals?
Hawk Marketing specializes in accomplishing goals, but our passion is solving problems and creating processes that help our client’s gain new business. If you need any help setting up marketing goals for your company please reach out.